Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Beginnings

What a cheesy title, huh? Unfortunately, I was not gifted with the ability to come up with great titles (my parents forgot to invite any fairies to my birth, so it's technically their fault). However, I find that skill less important than the content that follows. But let me introduce myself before we get into that.


My name is Kristen. I turned nineteen years old on August 5th, 2014, which was one day before I started this blog. I love white chocolate, laughing, and long walks on the beach.  Just kidding. I don't like the beach. And I have no desire for a dating profile, I already have a cute boyfriend.

The only thing I want to say about myself right now is that I'm studying to be a psychologist at Morehead State University. I chose to study this because there are many many many young people in existence that have a hard time with counseling. I, myself, have experienced many many many counselors and therapists that seem to think saying phrases like "It gets better" and "You'll be fine" are the most helpful words a person can hear. Which is not the case if that is all they do. I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of therapy, and I can sympathize with those who want their counselor to be kind, patient, and understanding. Someone that won't assume anything about their patient and will always be willing to help them come up with solutions or ways to cope. I feel as though my experiences will help me as a psychologist in the future.

This also means I have to work to overcome my own issues. My experiences with depression and anxiety will be an advantage for my career, but I can only help patients fight their own battles after I win my own. As soon as I get back on campus on August 13th, I'm going to counseling again.

This is also the reason I'm making this blog. I am going to start writing every day about my thoughts, goals, and anything of interest that happens during my day. I will also post anything I come across that I shall save for a "rainy day". That is, any video/picture/audio/etc. that can inspire me to keep going.

And if anything I post could help out anyone who needs it...even though it may be a minor problem and something I post helps someone overcome it...that would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment